26 March 2012

Honey Hemp Bread

Since, last night I had to work on my wedding dress late into the evening. I might as well bake bread. :)

Second time using the Kitchenaid. I wasn't surprised since the hydration of the last dough was obviously too wet that the machine did really good mixing. This time I made sure to not add too much oil. Well, the Kitchenaid though was doing a good job turning, the dough was climbing up the hook and honestly wasn't incorporating the fluid into the flour like I wanted. I also added hemp seeds which made the dough thicker. I used the last of the buttermilk to help with the dense mixture. It made it very sticky. I'll be curious to see how this turns out since I've never used hemp to cook with.


Honey Hemp Bread with Buttermilk

Measure and whisk dry
  • 2.5t yeast
  • 1c whole wheat flour
  • 2c bread flour
  • .5t baking soda
  • 1t sea salt 
  • 1c hemp seeds
 Measure wet and add to dry
  • 3.5T honey
  • 3T olive oil
  • 1.75c buttermilk

Let rise in oiled bowl covered with damp towel for 2hours or till doubled. Punch, rest for 10minutes, and knead again for 10mintues, Let rise in the oiled pan for 2hours or until doubled.  Bake at 350 for 25minutes or until hollow sound.

And there you have it, this morning's very pretty nutty hemp bread! :)


Now, I did not coat the top of the bread with any liquid which you can see that it does not have a very defined crust. It interestingly did not make a interesting split when I made a slice in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment