28 April 2012

Vegetables with the help of pork

I would say that this is vegetarian since there was no physical meat present but people argue that using bacon fat is meat. So...I feel vegetarian inspired! Two dishes, Sauteed vegetables in bacon fat and boil potatoes in pork stock.

Sauteed in bacon fat
  • 1 portabella mushroom, thinly sliced squares
  • sqaush and zucinni, thinly sliced rounds
  • 1/5 diakon radish, thinly sliced half rounds
  •  
Add and steam with lid on
  • diakon radish leaves and stems, thinly sliced
  • 6 swiss chard leaves and stems, thinly sliced
  • 1T of saki
  • 1T of white balsamic vinegar
 Add
  • Ground pepper
  • Crushed basil leaves (or oregano)
Steam till all greens are fully cooked. Note: would have been great over brown or wild rice.

Other side dish...
I used the pineapple/vegetable stock to boil a pork lion that I planned to slice for sandwiches for Kalen. It turned into pulled pork by the time it was done cooking. No complaints, we added bbq sauces and some spices. Had some really good sandwiches. Then I was left with pork stock. So I used it in this next dish.

 Boil
  •  pork stock (cover the potatos)
  • 4 red potatoes with skin on, cubbed
  • 2 T of chopped parsley
Once the potatoes are tender, drain with spatula to serve on plate. And keep the left over potatoes and stock for a potato soup :)

I seasoned my servings with a little bit of salt and habanero ground pepper. 

And there you have it! It was just enough for the two of us. Very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment