05 March 2012

Shopping Local: Spices, Olive Oils & Balsamic Vinegar

Today, I found two places that were just wonderful! I feel that my culinary window has just opened up to a better experience. 

Savory Spice Shop
I found the long sought after in the bulk items: Caraway Seeds (dutch)
They were in a great price range compared to Amazon.com
A few others were Thyme, which I couldn't find anywhere local either; and just for kicks, I picked up Ground Habanero Powder (didn't want to chance smelling this one in the store), Black Cumin Seeds (very earthy smelling), and Ground Cardamom (exciting).
This store is one of 16 in the United States, originated out of Colorado. I'm very happy I got to walk the store. It has a clean and open feeling. And a wonderful selection of spices and mixes. I'll go back to get more when I'm running low.

Just next door...

Con' Olio Oils & Vinegars
Locally owned. I met Jeff, husband and co-owner, super nice guy and very informative. I never thought that olive oil and balsamic vinegar could have such a depth and beauty that come from the source. I feel like I have a better understanding of American Cultivated products. What I mean is that as Americans we have taken the 'original home-grown products' and commercialized them. Very much true with pasteurized cheese, boxed wine, and in this case 'sour' balsamic vinegar. Con'Olio's carries vinegars that are out of this world.  A plus, they do ship throughout the U.S. and have a tasting bar. I'm very happy that I did not taste test everything in the store or I would have had a very big dent in my wallet. Good thing Mom was buying today. :-)

If you do think you'll want to order, the black cherry balsamic, lavender balsamicstrawberry balsamic, and the mango balsamic were some of the few I tried and I wanted to just pour this stuff over some ice cream! The Chipotle flavored oil was wonderful. And Mom picked up a limited edition Pumpkin. Very nutty/earthy, almost creamy if that is a good word to use. And a wonderful after taste compared to the Black Walnut infused olive oil that was just as special.

No comments:

Post a Comment