01 March 2012

Barley Sour Dough Bread

So, I really liked the original sour dough bread that I made with all purpose white and rye (which I thought sour dough was strictly white flour, who knew). Now, since the starter has evolved into a whole wheat; I've felt more adventurous to change the original just "barley."

Barley Sour Dough Bread
1 3/4c unbleached all purpose white flour
3/8c barley flour
3/4c rye flour
1T ground flax seed meal
1.5tsp salt
1c starter (whole wheat)
3/4c buttermilk (low fat)
1t yeast

Activate: yeast in warm buttermilk. Mix wet into dry. Knead. Roll in canola oil in bowl, let rise 2hrs or until doubled. Punch (which really it didn't deflate so may need to let rise longer). Knead. Rise 2.5hours or until doubled. Bake at 350 for 25min in canola oil bread pan.

There you have it :)

So...I feel conflicted. Each time I make a new loaf. I like the new one better and better. Although the flax seed wasn't my favorite after the original sour dough. However, this one really does make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. The buttermilk gives it a much richer taste and brings the sour out of the sour dough starter. Gosh, its moist and crispy on the outside. Everything that I would want in a bread to eat just by itself. No dab of butter required.

No comments:

Post a Comment