04 March 2012

Rye Sour Dough Bread

Since last nights failed attempt at sandwich bread, I'm making bread again. This time just light rye, two small loafs.
Before Baking

 Whisk the Dry

  • 2c all purpose white flour
  • 3c rye flour
  • 4T brown sugar
  • 4t salt
  • 2T caraway
  • 4t yeast

Add the Wet
  • 1/2c canola oil
  • 1.5c starter (whole wheat)
  • 1.5c warm water (use to rinse out starter measuring cup)

Mix. Knead. Let rise for 2.5hours or until doubled. Punch down. This is a bit more dense, to make it lighter use 1/2c of whole wheat starter. Knead. Let rise for 2 hrs or until doubled.

Coat top with cold water and sprinkle oat bran, poppy seeds and golden flax seed (or seeds of your choice).

Oven for 350, bake for 30minutes. I could have made one larger loaf from this mix and change the cook time; but I'm okay with shorter slices of bread for sandwiches. Since this is denser, the bread should be easier to cut thinner. 

Just pretty! Next time I'll probably put the seeds on them during the 2nd rising so that they would embed and stick better to the top. Very moist and I'm much happier that I made two loafs just because I don't feel guilty eating two sandwiches. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment