01 March 2012

Chicken Dumplings in Chicken Broth (part 3)

Reheating the Chicken broth, I added Napa cabbage that was shredded and cooked till tender. Then removed the cabbage to set aside for later and I added chopped green onion to each bowl.  I would have added the green onion to the inside of the dumpling but I didn't purchase the onions till this afternoon after the dumplings were made. Good thing I pureed the boiled onions from last night to put in the dumpling.
(left) Napa Cabbage (center) uncooked dumplings (right) cooking dumplings
Now, I was supposed to add the last of the egg whites to the broth (like egg drop soup) but that got forgotten. So, now there is a bowl of about 4.5 egg whites in my fridge. :/ And I just bought two dozen today at Sprouts since it was two for $3.
Earlier, I froze half of the dumplings for Kalen to have while I am away. The rest I prepared for the bath. I turned the stove on medium to get a small boil. I dropped the dumplings one at a time (to keep from splashing) and cooked  till they started to float and the color changed. May have been three minutes at most. And turned off the stove. I spooned out the dumplings on top of the cabbage. And then poured the rest of the liquid in each bowl.
Chicken Dumplings in Chicken Broth


I like to top with red pepper flakes. It gives it a pop of color and since nothing was spicy in the soup, I just had to add a little bit of kick.

And there you have it!

The pasta was tender and had a wonderful texture paired with the napa cabbage and green onion. I would  have loved to have some mushrooms in it but I forgot to pick that up from the store. So next time add mushrooms and egg whites!

No comments:

Post a Comment