01 March 2012

Chicken Dumplings in Chicken Broth (part 2)

This morning I've been working on making pasta and dumplings.

Apparently, letting the dough rise overnight or for at least 8-10hrs will double. So...next time I'm only making half the amount and probably only use 2 yolks. The dough was still pretty stick so I used a lot of all purpose to knead and shape it out with.
I didn't get as many photos as desired since I was making a powdery mess everywhere. Overall it was a great learning experience. Using the Pasta Machine hand crank was much easier than rolling out by hand but it did have its difficulties. I also had so much pasta dough that I ended up making spaghetti (which I don't think had enough flour to keep it from sticking together) and fettuccine (which was just beautiful).
 The assembly went as so...
I rolled out the dough and folded about 6-9times just to be able to cut the circles out of the flat sheets with a biscuit cutter. The biscuit cutter was easier than a cookie cutter because it had a handle to turn with.
I let each circle rest a few minutes before adding the filling. And I used the egg whites from last night to close the dumplings. I thought it best to use them since I had it. Water would have been fine too. I dusted them after closing and left to dry on a cookie sheet. I covered with plastic wrap and its sitting in the fridge.
This how much extra dough was left after making the dumplings. I'm excited what the texture will be like compared to the last batch of pasta that I rolled out by hand and did not let it rest before kneading/rolling/cutting.

Luckily, I made enough filling for the dumplings that I just added some thai mayo to go along with my Asian chicken filling to make a "chicken salad" to have between the barley sour dough I made last night. I wish I could describe the goodness that I consumed for lunch. Nothing like fresh baked bread with some home made goodness.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment