17 May 2012

Acorn Squash Chips

Inspired by the non traditional chip bag at the store. I wanted to make my own chips from acorn squash in the dehydrator. I sliced the Acorn squash to about 1/8inch thickness. Apparently 1.43lb of Acorn Squash, de-seed and stem removed, uses all 5 tray space and cooks for about 4-5hours..
52 calories of pure goodness!

While the squash is still warm in the dehydrator, pour each tray's contents one at a time into a bowl. Then mist with sunflower oil, sprinkled popcorn seasoning (or your seasoning choice), and toss chips. Repeat each tray in same bowl. And pour into a container or bag for storage. I really like this snack after tasting it. I feel a bit more in control of how much salt and oil goes on to the chips.

Besides reading up on calorie count of dehydrated Acorn squash (without oil or salt) comes out to 8 calories in 0.5c of sliced Summer squash.

So...guessing that my bag of squash chips to be about two cups which gives me 32 calories for the squash + 20 calories for the sunflower oil + 0 Reese Cheesy popcorn seasoning =  52 calories of pure goodness! A big plus no preservatives, mainly because they'll get eaten before going bad. Funny enough the shelf life of dehydrated squash is 1 week. Why? I'm unsure but best eat your veggie chips quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment