02 March 2012

An Italian affair...sorta

Panko breaded bison meat balls over butternut squash spaghetti with garlic sour dough love biscuits

Sauce
Pealed and 1/2in cubed butternut squash steamed with Saki
When squash showed tenderness, add pureed Red Bell Pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, 5 garlic cloves + salt
Simmer, add crushed basil, oregano, rosemary, five color pepper, (I would add thyme if I had any), olive oil, and rice vinegar to taste.
Cook for an hour and smash the butternut squash with potato smasher. Let cook another hour. I did this last night and put in the fridge. And reheated this afternoon and added 1 diced Roma tomato, then continued to simmer.


Meatballs
I used bread crumbs and very thinly sliced bread from dark rye and sour dough end pieces from the loafs I made, egg whites that I forgot to use the other day probably 3egg whites, 1lb of ground bison, crushed oregano, basil, black pepper, and course sea salt. Rolled up and coated with Japanese panko crumbs. Bake in buttered pan at 350 for 20-45 minutes depending on how big you roll out your meatballs.

Then I placed the  meatballs into the sauce and put some olive oil over the top since the sauce didn't submerge them completely. After about 10minutes I rotated them in the sauce to cook in the sauce more evenly. I'll probably turn one more time before the bread is finishing cooking.



Garlic Sour Dough Love Biscuits
1/3c barley flower
1/3c rye flour
1/3c ground flax meal
2/3c unbleached all purpose white
1c starter (whole wheat)
3/8c buttermilk
1/2tsp yeast
1tsp salt
3T of minced dried garlic

I just through everything into the bowl. No rising of the yeast in water before hand. The dough will be very sticky. Let knead in bowl and scrap as best as you can. Add canola oil and coat. Rise for 2hours. Punch, knead out and separate out into equal part balls. Coat each with olive oil, set in heart shaped pan to rise for 30minutes (though I should have let it rise till doubled, the timing of the rest of the food is coming to a near). Coat tops with garlic powder. Bake at 350 for 25minutes.

Pasta
So yesterdays  spaghetti pasta didn't have enough flour to separate the noodles very well, so I tried breaking them apart once they dried for 24hours. Problem was they also stuck to the rack and into the towel. I'm not very happy about it but push come to shove, I ended up boiling the noodles then pan frying them in butter and olive oil. Till a little bit crispy.

Overall, I wasn't as happy as I could be. Though luckily, the bread turned out great with a dab of butter. And it went really well with honey despite the garlic in it. The noodles had a lot of room to improve on. I probably should have cooked them right after making them. However, we had enough left over sauce that will probably go good towards lasagna.  I topped off the dish with Cesar blend cheese from whole foods since we were there and picked up the bison. Should be four cheeses, Asiago, Romano, Parmesan, and one other cheese I can't remember off the top of my head. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment