01 March 2012

Chicken Dumplings in Chicken Broth (part 1)

H.E.B. Had halfed chicken breasts for $1 and I went crazy and pretty much picked up almost 6lbs. I knew it would be skin on and bone in which wouldn't be a big deal. I'll just break it down and freeze a good portion of the breast and use what was left for the next few days.

Well...apparently separating skin and fat is easy from chicken meat. From the bone uncooked, another story. So I did my best to detach as much as possible from the bone and freeze a good bit. And kept about a large breast amount of meat in the fridge. And the meat on the bone I wanted to salvage as much as possible. So why not make chicken stalk?

All bones + what meat is still attached. Pan fry with some olive oil and salt. Till meat is cooked on both sides. Then add water enough to submerge the bones. I added one stalk of celery, the end of an onion that you usually cut off + some pealing that would be too dry to really cook with, and two bay leafs. I boiled long enough where the meat would separate easy from the bone.

The meat was cleaned off bones (bones tossed) and pureed with some liquid. I also took the celery and onions that were left over and pureed also. I added minced garlic, grated fresh ginger, minced cilantro leafs and stems, minced bamboo shoots, ground pepper, rice vinegar/sesame oil/soy sauce to taste. This will be the filling for my dumpling.

Now on to the sour dough pasta that will be my dumpling. Reading...

·         1c starter
·         3c whole wheat (spelt) flour
·         6 egg yolks

·         1c Spelt
 1/8t Celtic sea salt
·         2t lard
·         1/4c starter
·         Kefir whey or water
·         Olive oil

·         2c whole wheat flour
·         1c whey (home made)
·         6 egg yolks
·         (80g) 0.25c starter
·         60g flour
·         1 egg yolk
Most recommended to let rest over night after mixing. So I thought, I'd try resting overnight.

Sour dough pasta
1c starter(whole wheat)
2c all purpose flour
1tsp salt
5 egg yolks (all I had, do plan on using the whites back into the broth later)

Mixed and kneaded in bowl. Let rest with a towel over it. Hopefully, by morning it will look okay.

Too be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment