03 March 2012

Barley Sour Dough Biscuits

I was inspired to bake these biscuits from Sourdough biscuits. Mom has been in this weekend and been helping out in the kitchen. So she helped yesterday with the meat balls and today she is making bacon in scrambled eggs. I beat the eggs with a little buttermilk and heavy whipping cream to make fluffy. And the bacon is pretty crispy. We used the fat for the biscuits and saved the rest for other uses for the future.


Dough
1/2c starter (whole wheat)
1c buttermilk
2c all-purpose flour
1/3c barley flour
3T ground flax seed meal
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
bacon fat for dipping

I whisked the dry ingredients together to make sure the baking powder, soda, salt and sugar were evenly distributed.Then I added the cup of buttermilk and 1/2c whole wheat starter and mixed. I tried my best to incorporate all the dry pieces but had to throw some out. I rolled out to about 3/4-1inch in height. And used a medium biscuit cutter (makes 11 biscuits). I dredged 6 in bacon fat and let rise for 15min (could have done 30min).

Set oven for 375 and bake for 20minutes. This gave the biscuits a great crunch but a soft center. Just beautiful with clover honey. I could eat just these and be completely content. :)


Though I think we could have had it at 350 and baked at 25minutes and let them rise the full 30minutes instead of 15minutes then they would have been a much softer biscuit over all.

Frozen for an hour
The rest of the biscuits I put on a pan in the freezer to freeze and then bag (floured) for later use. I would have used less all purpose white flour but I really wanted the biscuits to be fluffy and rise. Since the whole wheat is going to make it dense and the barley even denser, I decided to let the all purpose be a 2:1 ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment