03 March 2012

Marbled Sour Dough Rye Bread

So this is a bit rigorous...you make two doughs one light and one dark rye.

Light Rye                               Dark Rye

  • 1c all purpose white flour
  • 1.5c rye flour
  • 2T brown sugar
  • 2t salt
  • 1T caraway seeds
  • 2t yeast
  • .75c all purpose white
  • 1.5c rye flour
  • 2T brown sugar
  • 2t salt
  • 1T caraway seeds
  • 2t yeast
  • 2T cocoa powder
Blend all ingredients listed in each bowl, then add the wet and mix together
  • 1/4c canola oil
  • 3/4c water
  • 1/2c starter (whole wheat)
  • 1/2c butter milk
  • 1/2c water
  • 3/4c starter (whole wheat)

Baked
Separately, knead the dough (make sure your hands are clean between each bowl to not mix colors early), let rise for 2hours or until doubled. The Light Rye is less dough than the Dark Rye as well the Dark Rye will be a little bit more sticky compared to the Light Rye because of the molasses.

I pushed down both doughs, though the dark rye did not double, in fact it really didn't change at all though I could hear it release air. Weird. After kneading, I rolled out each like a thick pizza. I put the light right on the bottom and the dark rye on top and then used the roller to roll them together to push out any air pockets. I slowly rolled them together into a cylindar, pinching the dough down as a I went to help keep excess air pockets forming. I also tucked the sides under to smooth out the ends. The excess canola oil in the bowl was enough to coat the cooking pan. Let dough rise another 2 hours in the pan with a wax paper sheet on top.  

The amount of dough filled the whole bread pan 9x5x3 so it will have a cute puff at the top like muffins do. Most of the bread that I've baked have not risen very much. And it will be interesting since the dark rye didn't rise much what it will do to the light rye as it goes through the 2nd rising together.


It was so beautiful when after it had risen. I baked at 375 for 30minutes. I thumped it and it sounded hollow. I pulled it out on the rack and let cook. I cut open the end and the marble wasn't as pronounced as I was expecting but it was so pretty. I ate a very thin slice at the end and was super happy with the out come.


Now, about an hour later I cut the bread and it kept crumbling. Apparently, I did not cook long enough. It should have been 350 for 1hr or split into two loafs. 

The inside was breading/doughy. I was so disappointed. So...I had to figure out something else to do with it instead of throwing away. At least I learned something from the opps.

No comments:

Post a Comment