22 May 2012

Revisiting Sour Dough (part 4)

 Now...does 7 days create a great sour dough starter?

Probably, however, I wasn't patient last night and didn't get the bread I was looking for. I did not add enough flour to it and I did not allow it to rise twice. For that I got a very dense bread. That took what felt like three as times longer to cook. In fact, I had to chop it up smaller after halving it twice. The bread flour made it so dense it was like a brick. Eventually, it finished cooking but it wasn't the bread I was hoping for. Thick chewy bars (1inch*1inch* 3inch).

Over all it had a great taste and I soaked it the next morning in egg/heavy whipping cream wash to make french toast. It turned out pretty good but not fluffy. :(

So did I make a great sour dough? No but I did learn that you have to let it rise twice otherwise you'll get a very heavy surprise in the oven that will just take longer to cook. Here is the recipe I used with .5c milk less. Hopefully it wont be so sticky.

In medium bowl, combine
  • 1 1/3c rye (start with 2/3rds and add as needed)
  • 4.5c bread flour
  • 1T salt
  • 1/3c flax seed meal
  • 1/3c hemp seeds
Then, add
  • 4T warm honey
  • 2c starter
  • 1.5c milk
Let rise for 2 hours, punch, let rest for 10minutes, knead for 10minutes, shape dough, and let rest in pan for 2 hours or until doubled. Heat oven to 350 and bake in greased pan for 35minutes or until hollow.

No comments:

Post a Comment