06 May 2012

Corn and Veggies Soup

Pretty excited I got 5 large ears of corn for $1 and I love corn to an extent but corn does not love me. And what I mean by corn doesn't love me. Corn is super bad for people with IBD, Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis, and it is super bad for those with Ostomys. For whatever reason with both issues, I've been able to eat popcorn. I've yet to meet another person with an Ostomy who gets away with eating popcorn without blockage.

Now, I took the corn, husked it, deseeded it (5 ears makes 1 quart bag), pureed with fruit-veggie stock in a blender to make a wonderful smooth mixture for soup.

Sautee in bacon fat on medium heat
  • celery, thinly sliced
  • baby carrots, thinly sliced
  • button mushrooms, thinly sliced 
  • yellow onion, thinly sliced

Sautee in bacon fat on low-medium heat
  • Zucchini, thinly sliced
  • Yellow Squash, thinly sliced
  • Mexican Squash, thinly sliced (Farmers Mkt)

Take Sauteed vegetable mixtures put in medium sized pot, pour corn mixture over.

Add to pot and stir in
  • pickled jalapenos, minced
  • 1 vine ripe tomato, chunks
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • ground cumin powder
  • ground smoked garlic powder (Central Mkt)
  • gound Dallas dynamite chilie powder blend (Central Mkt)

Using a pestle and mortar, grind and add to soup
  • black lemon pepper corns
  • coriander seeds
  • black cumin seeds (Savory Spice Shop)
  • oregano leafs

When the soup has cooked at least 1.5hrs on low heat, add thinly sliced green onion and basil leafs. Serve with shredded cheese, I used Mexican blend and Colby Jack.

Add personally topped mine off with habanero chili powder and some salt since I did not cook with any.

No comments:

Post a Comment