16 May 2012

6.5lbs of Beef = 2lbs of Jerky

P&G sometimes has a special at the HEB. So spend $30 on P&G products and they will reward you with $10 off your next $30 purchase of non- P&G products which also exclude Alcohol and Tobacco. So...I figured what better way to spend our $10 off coupon than on 6.5lbs of Beef. Our total at the register (no taxes on food in TX) came to $30.07 then coupon applied, a grand total of $20.07 for 6.5lbs of lean top round roast beef which will be turned into some beautiful jerky.

In order to really enjoy our 6.5lbs of beef. I took the last of the jerky mix which had a lot of flavors but nothing really stood out. And then I made for the first batch and then created four more jerky flavors.


Note to self: 6.5lbs of jerky could have easily made 10 different flavors. One flavor per tray. Or just buy 2-3lbs for one batch.
 
Mexican Mix
Szechuan Mix
Thai Mix
Pepper Mix
1/2T minced garlic
1/2T turmeric
1/2T chili powder
1/2T white pepper
1/2T ground cumin
1/2T salt
1/2T lime pepper mix
2T oregano leafs dried
1T crushed red pepper
1/2T minced onion
1/2T thyme
1/2T white pepper
1/2T lemon pepper
1/2T salt
1/2T Szechuan pepper
1T garlic powder
1T oregano leafs dried

1/2T minced onion
1/2T lemon grass
1/2T galanga powder
1/2T white pepper
1/2T coriander seeds
1/2T salt
1T garlic powder
1T basil leafs dried
1.5t ground cumin
1t lemon pepper
1t five color pepper
1t garlic powder
1t minced onion
1t white pepper
1t salt
1t crushed red pepper

I made 5 bags of marinated meat with the following spice blends. The weight of each bag varied do the amount of spice mixes volume were different. First jerky mix equated 1.33lbs, Mexican Mix 1.71lbs, Szechuan Mix 1.63lbs, Thai Mix 1.175lbs, and Pepper Mix .88lbs (this included the weight of the bag).

I'm wanting to do two batches. I'm curious to know if marinating the meat for a longer amount of time truly makes a difference in flavor. 

The first batch, marinated for 13hours and dehydrated for 6-7 hours.
Flavors did prove to be better than the first batch that I did with the original mix which marinated for 1hour.

The second batch, marinated for 48 hours and dehydrated for 6-7 hours.
Cooking during this post

Overall, I had high expectations of all the mixes though Szechuan Mix, I feel that the Szechuan pepper corns were over shadowed by the thyme which I didn't expect to take on such a dominating roll in that mix. The Thai Mix was pleasant, not spicy but stands on its own as well rounded. I'm pleased with the Pepper Mix and I may experiment with the Mexican Mix to add more citrus notes.

Very happy with the dry mixes. My next stop in Jerky flavor discovery may be using a wet mix, though I will not enjoy the clean up. And I'm looking forward to trying other lean meats, excluding chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment