05 May 2012

Chickpea Hummus

So I'm going to toot my own horn on this.

Since I've been back in Austin, I've really wanted to have a try at hummus but didn't have a food processor. Still don't have the food processor yet and I just couldn't help myself. I had prepared fruit-veggie stock and I needed to use it soon. And what better way to cook beans in than water?


Chickpea Hummus

Soak overnight in stock, cook till tender. May need to add more stock to cover beans as they simmer (est 1.5hrs)
  • 1c dry garbanzo bean
In a food processor (I used the Magic bullet), puree and set aside
  • 1/3c tahini paste
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1t ground cumin
  • 1t salt
  • 1T olive oil
When beans are easily mashed between fingers, puree beans with left over stock. Use enough liquid for the beans to puree to the consistency desired. I ended up using more liquid than expected to boil and puree. Be sure to use enough or you can burn out the motor if your using something other than a food processor. Which is why I had to puree mine in small batches.
First Time for Hummus

Mix all the pureed ingredients into a medium bowl. Serve warm or cold.

Optional add-ins
  • 1/3c minced herb of choice
  • top with olive mixture
  • pinch of paprika
  • Olive oil for drizzling
I used 1.5t spicy Spanish smoked paprika  to mix in and drizzled olive oil on top. SOOO GOOD! I'm defiantly going to experiment with making other hummus dips with other beans. I'll be even more pleased once we get the food processor because I'll have a much smoother texture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment