18 May 2012

Pork stock and what it lead to

Open faced pulled pork sandwiches
Sprouts had a good price on Pork loin roast for 1.88lb. So I bought enough to make pulled pork.

I used vegetable/fruit stock to boil with lemon pepper corns and a bay leaf.  I stripped the meat and separated into  4 containers. And used a ladle of stock and different spice to flavor the four containers separately.  Kalen really liked using part hickory bbq sauce, garlic powder and the pork stock whereas, I really liked adding white balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, dehydrated pizza sauce, and pork stock. I guess he likes it sweet and I like it more acidic. It made really good sandwiches for lunch.

I also picked up potatoes at sprouts and originally intended to use the Idaho and sweet potatoes to dehydrate to make chips. However, after making pulled pork, I realized I had invaluable pork/vegetable stock left over. So I made mashed potatoes.

Boil in pork stock

  • 2 medium Idaho potatoes, cubes with skin on
  • 1/4 of a yellow onion, sliced
When potatoes are soft, add
    Thick and Creamy Mashed Potatoes
  •  3 garlic cloves sliced
Once garlic has lost its white color. Remove potatoes, onions, and garlic from stock to a food processor and season with cracked pepper and pinch of dried basil (or parsley).

Turn on low, add

  • heavy whipping cream
  • 1 T of butter, small cubes
 When the potatoes have been completely mashed, turn off processor and add melted cheese. I used Colby jack and spicy Wisconsin Cheddar. 


Now, I still had some stock left over and I couldn't just let it go to waste.

So I threw a handful of pinto beans and let sit on low for about 2+hours. Once soft. I threw a handful of brown rice (1:1 ratio to the liquid). And left on low until the rice absorbed most of the liquid. Turned stove off and let cool.


Meanwhile, all of this is going on, I dehydrated the sweet potatoes.

Took about 5hours I'm guessing because I lost track of time and don't know how long it took. Once they were crispy, I removed while still warm misted with sunflower oil and sprinkled cinnamon over them. And served as our dessert with few spoons of fage yogurt with clover honey.

Oh what next...

No comments:

Post a Comment