07 May 2012

King Oyster Mushrooms in White Sauce over Squash Noodles

Kalen and I had stopped by the big Asian market off Lamar. And picked up a variety of mushrooms. So today, I'm going to finish off the last of the Swiss chard and basil to pair with the mushrooms. And instead of using noodles I'm going to try using squash. Mainly because I've been curious about using zucchini as noodles. If it proves to be pretty tasty I may consider purchasing a spiral vegetable slicer. I've been thinking about getting one for the last year but just wasn't sure how often I would use it.


King Oyster Mushrooms in White Sauce over Squash Noodles

Heat over medium
  • 1T olive oil
  • 2T butter

Stir in and saute till transparent
  • 1/4 of yellow onion, minced
  • 1/2c diakon radish, thinly sliced sqaures

Then add in till brown
  • 2 King Oyster mushrooms, thick sliced squares
 Once mushrooms start to turn brown, cover bottom of pan with
  • a splash of saki

Finally add and stir in

  • dollop of 0% Greek yogurt
  • Swiss chard, thinly sliced
  • 2 bunches of basil leafs, thinly sliced
  • ground white pepper
  • roasted garlic powder

Pour over
  • 1 yellow crookneck squash, thinly shredded
  • 1 zucchini, thinly shredded
  • 1/2 Mexican squash, thin chunks (farmers mkt)
Serve warm and drizzle soy sauce over.
 
Note:
 
What I might had done differently was use heavy cream vs yogurt to give it a more creamier texture and use less sake than what I did use. As well try using a wok to cook with than a saute pan to brown the mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment