16 May 2012

Revisiting Sour Dough (part 1)

To further challenge myself and because I'm just curious if I can. I want to revisit the sour dough starter.

First, I learned that whatever you start with, that you must double at each feeding. Most if not all sour dough starter recipes ask that you start 1/3c water and 1/4c flour to 1.25c water & 1.25c flour, initially and get big quick.Which leads into the second thing I learned, you either have to bake with the starter or throw it out when you feed it otherwise your going to have more starter than you'll know what to do with. I'll explain further. And third thing I learned, I baked a lot of stuff because I didn't want to waste the starter. And gained a lot of weight and got tired of eating bread everyday. Though tasty just A LOT OF BREAD.

Now, the original recipe I used to make the starter is as follows.

Yeast: 2tsp (7g)
Water: 1.25c (300ml)
Flour: 1.75c (250g)

This mixture would yield about 1.25c of mixture and some. Then the first feeding would double to about 2.5c of mixture which by the end of the week I would have after doubling and not pouring out the mixture, 80 cups of sour dough. Crazy...though luckily I cut the recipe in half when I initially made the starter.

So, I'm breaking down the mixture to something more manageable for the next seven days, I'm willing to try making the sour dough starter with the following using whole wheat flour.

6oz Mason Jar

Day 1 (today)

Yeast: 1/8tsp (0.7g)
Salt: 1/16tsp (0.3g)
Water: 1T (15ml)
Flour: 1T (7g)

I added the salt to the yeast to help boost it. Used warm water to dilute the yeast and salt. Added the flour. Stirred and capped it with a small food shower cap. My feedings for the next 5 days will consist of the following.

Day 2 3 4 5 6
Water 1T 1/8c 1/4c 1/2c 1c
Flour 1T 1/8c 1/4c 1/2c 1c

Day 7
I'll remove 1T of the mixture and put it in a container and start feeding again. And use the 1 7/8c + 1T of sour dough starter for baking

If everything goes well, my goal is to push out baking from an everyday to a once a week adventure. I'm hoping this initial start up works because I honestly don't want to make the amount from the original recipe.

Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment