20 May 2012

Revisiting Sourdough (part 2)

6oz mason jar, small bubbles forming

Day 2

Mid-day: I stirred the mixture.
End of day: added 1T whole wheat flour and 1T filtered water.

So far I've seen small traces of bubbles but nothing significant. I'm hoping in the morning when I go to stir it. There will have been more activity in the jar. For now I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)


Mid-day (day 3)

Day 3

Super excited when I check on the starter! I was beginning to wonder if it was every going to double in size. Low and behold we have bubbles!!

Mid-day: stirred the contents with wooden chopstick.

In fact it bubbled up again after stirring it mid-day which leads me to want to transfer to a larger jar. Don't want another volcano incident to clean up.

End of Day: transferred to  two quart mason jar. Added 2T whole wheat flour and 2T filtered water.

Day 4

Mid-day: stirred the contents with wooden spoon.


Not as much activity today. I feel its possibly because I transferred to a different jar and the surface area is bigger now, that the dough has spread out. May be I should of transferred to a  one pint mason jar for better results. I'm sorta sad. :/

End of Day: add 1/4c whole wheat flour and 1/4c filtered water

Day 5

Not much going on
Mid-day: stirred the contents with wooden spoon.

So...yeah not a whole lot of activity. At least not like it was day 2. There are some bubbles but nothing too impressive.

End of Day: add 1/2c whole wheat flour and 1/2c filtered water.

 

Day 6

Mid-day: stirred the contents with wooden spoon.

Come on!
Alright, I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I know I'm seeing some bubble mid-day but there is not a distinctive level change in the starter. I'm really wondering if I disturbed it too much when I changed jars on it.  I plan on doing the last feeding tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope tomorrow it will show some signs of life.

End of Day: add 1c whole wheat flour and 3/4c filtered water.

I used 3/4c of water instead of 1c because It was just too wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment