25 February 2012

Sour Dough Strawberry muffins

I needed to feed the starter and decided to take some out to make muffins. That way the starter when it rises would not exceed the jar. Probably going to have to bake everyday until I leave to go back to Huntsville.

Mini Strawberry Muffins (not sweet)

Preheat the oven to 425 and oil the muffin pan with canola oil
I took the left over egg wash from baking bread yesterday. I then added
1 large egg
pinch of salt (I forgot about)
1c of sourdough starter
1 tsp of baking soda
>1c of white whole wheat flour
1T flax seed meal
>1/4c white sugar (or honey)
>1/4c canola oil
5 large strawberries cut up

Since, I'm using whole wheat flour and I wasn't sure how much it was going to rise. I filled the muffin pans up to the top. Now, looking at it while it was baking. It did rise surprisingly well. I wasn't sure do to the fact that when I baked the wheat bread it didn't rise. So it may be that do to the sour dough starter, it had a better chance and because the muffins were a bit more wet than the dough that I baked for the wheat bread.

Note: I really should pick up some baking joy but keep forgetting to put that on my grocery list because more than likely when I take these guys out of the oven they are going to stick. Oh well..
Also, the reason I have listed ">" before some of the ingredients, is to the fact that I did not measure the items. I just eyeballed it. If you like it sweet, I'd suggest 3/4c of sugar or 1/2c of honey.


Cook time about 15min or until brown on top. And there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment