23 February 2012

Flours, Seeds, Nuts and Spices

Flours
So I bought multiple flours this few week for pasta and bread making.

At HEB bought
Organic Rye flour by Hodgson Mill
King Aurthur Whole White Wheat, Whole Wheat, and Unbleached All-Purpose flour (using a lot of this one)

At Whole Foods
Semolina Flour (Really excited to use this in pasta. Some bread recipes call for this too)
Rye flour (at 99c a lb)

At the Asian Mkt , I was paying attention and picked up some other flours that I thought was something else
Barley Flour (I'm hoping to make some pasta from Barley. Found a recipe from lidiasitaly.com that seems very promising)
Red Grain Sorghum Flour (apparently you can use as a gluten free substitute for all purpose. you'll need a percentage of cornstarch, recipes vary)

I'm still in the hunt for decently priced Buckwheat flour, Oat flour, Quinoa flour, Millet flour, Chickpea flour, Soy flour, and what feels like the unobtainable Udon flour. You'd think Asian stores would carry this.

Seeds, Nuts, and Spices
I also picked up small quantities in the bulk section of HEB and Sprouts.

The one disappointment that we came across was the lack of caraway seeds. I really wanted to find a bulk amount but that didn't seem was going to be easy. Four locations that carry bulk items didn't care it. So I ended up purchasing  the bottle for about $4 for 1.7oz.

Ground flax seed was a real treat. I was trying to find seeds to bake in breads and came across an article about ground flax seed being very high in protein and has the good fiber for your cholesterol as well it was easier absorbed vs eating the seeds. So I bought some at Sprouts and so far have only tried it in fruit/tofu/almond milk smoothies. And it gives a nice nuttiness that isn't over powering and doesn't make the smoothie too thick to drink.

I'm really glad that we bought a bunch of glass jars at Burkes Outlet in Huntsville and have been filling them with spices from the bulk section. We obviously didn't get enough but if we got more I don't think the spice rack we have would be able to hold anymore jars. I was honestly hoping to find enough vintage glass jars to fill with spices but everything we came across on our road trip this summer didn't turn up any good deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment