26 February 2012

Dark Rye Bread

So the starter yesterday didn't rise like it should, possibly because I didn't add the right amount of flour/water to the mix. Today, I decided to pull off 1.5c in order to put about 2c back into the starter. Hopefully, it will double today and the starter is in good shape. I can tell that the smell is getting to be more fragrant. Makes me excited. Though I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing with all this bread for the next month. I'm going to attempt freezing good portions for Kalen to have for sandwiches while I'm back in Huntsville.

Dark Rye Bread (1 loaf)
1t dry yeast + 1/2c buttermilk (warm) + 2T dark molasses [set aside to activated]

In a bowl, mix
  • 1c 2T rye flour (should have been an extra 0.5c of rye)
  • 1/2c unbleached all purpose flour
  • 2T brown sugar
  • 1T salt
  • 1T caraway seeds
  • 2T cocoa powder
  • 1.5c starter
Add the activated yeast to the dry bowl. And use 2T buttermilk to rinse out the bowl that had the activated yeast in it. This should help collect most of the molasses if any stuck to the bottom of the bowl.

Mix well. The dough is super sticky. I used rye flour to do the first kneading. And piled the bowl with canola oil for the 1st rising.

Note: I should off added 0.5c of rye flour to the bowl before kneading because it soaked up that much in the kneading and some.

Rise for 2hours or until doubled in volume. Punch down, rest for 10min. Kneaded with whole wheat flour for 10minutes. Shape the dough to fit in oiled pan. Let rise for 2nd rising.

Rise 2hours or until doubled in volume. Coat top with olive oil before and after baking. Set oven for 350, bake for 35minutes or until hollow sound on top and bottom of loaf.

And there you have it :D BEST BREAD YET. Just moist with a crispy crust the olive oil really did it!

Other recipes I'm thinking of doing some time Sourdough  Cinnamon rolls and Pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment