28 April 2012

Apple Cobbler

Conor (Kalen's brother) invited us to for a picnic at the park with the boys. We gladly accepted and brought chips and apple slices. I didn't want the slices to turn brown and I also wanted them sliced before arriving at park. So I deconstructed 6 apples (2 granny, 2 jazz, and 2 large jonagold). And submerged them in cold water with one squeezed lemon and a little bit of salt. It kept the apples crisp and no browning.
 
But we brought home left over apples. And I thought it would be fun to make cobbler. Its my first without my Mom and its my first Apple.  We would have made pie but I like the crust on cobbler better. So here we go.

Apple Filling
  • sliced peeled apples (I used about 4.5)
  • 3/4c sugar
  • 2T white wheat flour
  • 2.5t cinnamon
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1t vanilla extract
  • 1.5T orange juice
Mix well till apples are coated. Take pan and lightly butter sides before pouring apple filling in.
 
Note: I made two since the first didn't cover the whole cobbler. Also it was a bit dry so for the 2nd batter I added a little bit of OJ since I used all white wheat flour.

First Batter (under the 2nd one), mix well and serve on top of apple mixture
  • 1/2c white wheat flour (1/8c of was white flour)
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 1/2t baking powder
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/2t cardamon
  • 1 egg
Second Batter, mix well and serve on top of first batter
  • 1/2c white wheat flour
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 1/2t baking powder
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/2t cardamon
  • 1egg
  • 1T orange juice
Dap on about 1T of butter ( could use 2T) on batter. Bake for 35-45 minutes on 375. Or till crust is brown
 
In hindsight I would have used a flatter pan to cook instead of a bread pan. I had to break the crust in order for the rest of the batter in the first layer to finish cooking.

The cardamon was wonderful in the cake batter and the 1 to 1 ratio for the sugar made it a bit more crunchy in the crust than if I had used a 2 to 1 ratio of flour to sugar.

Overall tasty, serve warm with some vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment