31 July 2014

Fresh Field Peas

One of my most memorable meals as a kid that I’d have with my father was grilled pork chops, boxed macaroni with cheese, and canned black eyed peas. Nothing could compare to my weekly delight of cooking with my Dad. Those black eyed peas with Toni’s Creole Seasoning and mixing up that Velveeta cheese with shells... 

I find I don’t often eat many things from a can or box if I can help it but I still love peas. Even better than canned black eyed peas is fresh field peas. I was fortunate to have stumbled upon the Decatur, AL farmer’s market on Saturday and bought fresh purple un-hulled pea pods. They look half green to almost all purple. I spent that afternoon hulling peas which with this variety yields pink eyed peas on green bodies.  Hulling peas has a rhythmic motion like crocheting, may be that’s why I love the process of removing the pea from the pod so much. 

Now, 3lbs of un-hulled peas gives about 1 quart + ½ cup of fresh peas. And you just can’t beat the price of $4.50 for that bounty.

Today, I wanted to use smoked turkey necks and cornish game hen stock (rendered the night before). You can use chicken stock, pork stock, smoked ham hock, or whatever is your preference cooking your peas in.

Simmering fresh peas

Fresh Pink Eyed Peas

On Medium, bring stock pot to a simmer



  • 2 small-medium Turkey Necks
  • 1 quart bag of Fresh Pink Eyed Peas, rinsed
  • 1 quart of Cornish Game Hen Stock, with fat





After thirty minutes to a hour, add


  •   1 medium Onion, roughly chopped
  •  2 large Purple Garlic Cloves, smashed and mince (wait ten minutes to add after mincing)

Let simmer till smoked turkey neck meat starts to separate easily with a fork


  •  Salt and Pepper to taste 
  •  Cayenne to taste, if you want a little bit of a kick
And Enjoy! :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment