21 July 2014

BBQ French Onion Soup

One of my favorite things about Summer is enjoying good BBQ. Of course in Texas you can get BBQ in the dead of winter. Truly one of those finger licking good treats. BBQ I love eating you with my hands and getting my fingers all saucy. It's almost as good as feeling dirt between my toes. I do know those are two very different experiences. But hey its Summer, so kick off those shoes and run through the sprinklers. Because those BBQ drenched fingers are going to need a good washing.

I'd have to say my favorite by far is slow cooked beef ribs. My mom used to put them under the broiler with some Cajun dry rub. And the best part of BBQ beef ribs, isn't just eating the meat falling off the bone yummy goodness but saving the bone for making beef stock. Left over BBQ grilled beef or pork bones make a more rustic and rich tasting stock than just beef or pork bones you can get from the butcher. I highly suggest the next time your using the grill this Summer, save your bones whether its ribs, t-bone, or chops. Everything BBQ bone-in is great for making homemade stock.

Making stock is rather a simple process, you just throw the bones in a crock after you've indulged on all the meat trimmings. Cover with filtered water. Set on low and leave over night. I think a 24 hour stock is best but 12-18 hours of simmering is just as good. Once the stock is a nice rich golden brown color, remove the bones and ladle the liquid gold into a glass jar (glass is best). Then refrigerate till ready to use (good for 3 days or 5 if your have your fridge at a cooler setting). Now, you'll notice the stock will have a layer of fat that solidifies on the top of the liquid. Personally, I keep the fat. You don't have to keep it. Just tap it and pull it out in big chunks to throw away. It can be treated just like bacon fat or butter when using it recipes. You will not need to add any salt either while prepping your stock. The rub or sauce originally used on your BBQ will have flavored the bones/cartilage that you have simmering in the crock. I also prefer to salt the stock later than in the cooking process because I'd rather it not be over salted.

A much waited for day or two after BBQing treat...

BBQ French Onion Soup

Melt on medium heat in Large stock pot


  • 1 stick of butter

Add, mix, and simmer onions, stirring occasional till caramelized


  • 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 3 Turkish bay leafs
  • 5 medium thinly sliced yellow onions
  • 2 T minced garlic (3-4 large cloves)
  • ground black pepper

Onions now caramelized, add and let come to a slight boil, then reduce heat


  • 1/2 C red wine (I used a California 2012 blend of different wines)

After wine has evaporated and onions caramelized again, remove thyme stems and bay leafs and add


  • 2 T all purpose flour (preferably organic, non-GMO)

Once most of the flour has been browned with the onions but not sticking too much to the pot, add and let melt


  • beef fat from the stock (this will help scrap the browned flour if sticking to bottom of pot)
BBQ French Onion with shredded Munster

Then add and cover with lid for 2 hours on low-medium

  • 2 quarts BBQ beef stock
  • orange and lemon pepper (I like the little extra citrus notes)
  • ground black pepper and salt (to taste)

Simmer soup on low heat until ready to serve. When ready to serve, ladle BBQ French Onion Soup into a bowl and top with shredded cheese (I choose Munster since that is what I had on hand though I think a saltier cheese would have been better) and buttered, toasted chunks of french baguette pieces or croutons. Enjoy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment